Inside the White House’s New Bunker Ballroom
News Desk
Washington: US President Donald Trump has unveiled details of a massive new “bunker-like” ballroom project at the White House, revealing plans for a rooftop drone base and a six-story underground complex featuring a military hospital and research facilities.
Speaking to reporters during a tour of the construction site on Tuesday, Trump described the project as a major security upgrade for the White House and called on Congress to approve $1 billion in additional funding for the facility’s security measures.
According to Trump, the new 90,000-square-foot ballroom is being designed to host large-scale events with a capacity of up to 1,000 people, significantly larger than existing White House event spaces.
“The White House has never had a proper venue for major gatherings,” Trump said, adding that the need for a more secure location became clear after what he described as an assassination attempt at a Washington hotel.
The president said the building’s roof is being constructed for military use and will include a dedicated drone base capable of handling “an unlimited number of drones.” He claimed the roof would be resistant to direct attacks and protected against drone strikes.
“The entire roof is being built for military purposes,” Trump said. “If a drone hits it, it will bounce back and there will be no damage.”
Read More: https://thepenpk.com/trump-brings-tech-titans-to-beijing-for-crucial-china-talks/
Trump also highlighted the structure’s security features, saying the ballroom would be surrounded by a titanium fence strong enough that “not even a bulldozer can knock it down,” while the roof would be built using what he called “impenetrable steel.”
Beneath the ballroom, a six-story underground complex is also under construction. Trump said work had already begun on two levels of the facility, which will include a military hospital and research centers. However, no details were provided regarding the nature of the planned research activities.
The project has already sparked political debate in Washington. Democratic lawmakers, along with some Republicans, have criticized the development as excessive and unnecessary at a time when many Americans are struggling with inflation and rising fuel prices.
Trump, a billionaire real estate developer before entering politics, defended the project as essential for national security and future presidential operations.
He also revealed that the ballroom’s windows would feature four-inch-thick special glass designed to provide maximum protection while maintaining visibility.
“You will be able to see through it as if nothing is there,” Trump said.