Quetta Blast: 23 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Deadly Terror Attack

0

News Desk

Quetta: A powerful bomb blast targeted a passenger train in Quetta on Sunday morning, killing at least 23 people and injuring more than 100 others, officials said.

The explosion occurred around 8am near Chaman Phatak as a shuttle train travelling from Quetta Cantt towards the city was passing through the area. The blast derailed three coaches, including the engine, and caused one bogie to overturn.

Health department officials and senior police officers confirmed that 23 bodies, including those of women and children, were brought to Civil Hospital Quetta. 

Most of the injured were shifted to Civil Hospital and CMH, while others were taken to FC Hospital, BMC and the New Trauma Center for treatment.

According to police, the blast affected not only passengers aboard the train but also nearby residents and passersby. Witnesses reported intense gunfire following the explosion.

Read More: https://thepenpk.com/20-injured-in-blast-near-railway-track-in-quetta/

The impact of the blast shattered windows of nearby homes and buildings, while several parked vehicles caught fire. Rescue teams and firefighters rushed to the scene and continued operations for hours.

Officials said cranes had been called in to assist in rescuing passengers trapped inside the overturned coach.

Railway authorities said the affected train was a shuttle service operating between Quetta Cantt and Quetta Railway Station. Its bogies were later attached to the Jaffar Express, which was bound for Sukkur, Multan, Lahore and Peshawar.

Security forces cordoned off the area soon after the explosion and launched a search and rescue operation. 

Reports from the scene indicated that a large crater had formed at the blast site, while nearby houses and commercial buildings suffered severe damage. More than 20 vehicles were also reportedly damaged.

Read More: https://thepenpk.com/20-injured-in-blast-near-railway-track-in-quetta/

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack, calling it an act of terrorism.

In a post on X, the prime minister said such “cowardly acts of terrorism cannot weaken the resolve of the people of Pakistan.”

Federal Minister for Railways Muhammad Hanif Abbasi also condemned the attack, describing it as “cowardly terrorism.” He said anti-Pakistan networks operating from India and Afghanistan would not be allowed to disrupt railway operations.

Sarfaraz Bugti termed the incident a cowardly act and vowed that the fight against terrorism would continue “until the last terrorist is eliminated.”

An emergency was declared at Civil Hospital and CMH Quetta following the attack to deal with the large number of casualties.

Balochistan has witnessed several attacks on railway infrastructure in recent years. 

In April 2025, the Jaffar Express was hijacked in Balochistan and passengers were taken hostage in an incident that left around 30 people dead. 

In November 2024, a suicide bombing at Quetta Railway Station killed 25 people as a train was preparing to depart.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.