Security Forces Kill 22 Militants in Waziristan Operation
News Desk
Rawalpindi: Pakistan’s security forces killed 22 terrorists linked to the banned Fitna-al-Khawarij group during an intelligence-based operation in the Shewa area of North Waziristan, according to the military’s media wing.
In a statement, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said the operation was launched on credible intelligence reports regarding the presence of militants in the area and had been ongoing since May 17.
The military said troops effectively engaged the militants’ hideouts during an intense exchange of fire, resulting in the killing of 22 terrorists within the last 24 hours. Weapons and ammunition were also recovered from the slain militants, who were allegedly involved in several terrorist activities in the region.
According to the statement, security forces have cordoned off the area and a sanitization operation is continuing to eliminate any remaining militants.
The ISPR further claimed that the militants had been using local residents as human shields and coercing communities to secure safe passage, calling such actions “highly condemnable.”
Meanwhile, Mohsin Naqvi praised the security forces for what he described as a successful operation against terrorism.
In a statement issued on Monday, Naqvi commended the professionalism and swift response of the troops, saying the operation had foiled the “malicious objectives” of the extremist network.
He paid tribute to the security personnel and reiterated that the nation stood firmly behind its armed forces in the fight against militancy. The minister said operations against terrorists and their facilitators would continue under the government’s broader counterterrorism campaign aimed at restoring peace and stability in the country.
The military said Pakistan’s counterterrorism drive under the “Azm-e-Istehkam” strategy would continue at full pace to eliminate foreign-sponsored terrorism from the country.